Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- typeface / ˈtaɪpˌfeɪs / (n) – a set of letters, numbers, and other characters that have a particular style or design
You need an attention-grabbing typeface for your company logo.
- motivation / ˌmoʊ təˈveɪ ʃən / (n) – the reason for doing something
The student failed a test and used that experience as a motivation to study harder.
- go beyond / goʊ biˈɒnd / (phrasal) – to do more than what is expected
Many teachers go beyond their duty and help their students even outside the classroom.
- encumber / ɛnˈkʌm bər / (v) – to burden or weigh down someone
The new CEO is encumbered by the pressure to do as well as the previous CEO.
- breadth / brɛdθ / (n) – the wide scope or range of something
The breadth of his knowledge about marketing and business impressed the manager.
Read the text below.
American technology company Intel has rebranded its logo with the release of its 11th generation chips.
The company decided to remodel the logo with a simpler typeface but retained some of its trademark elements, such as the classic blue coloring. Intel Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Karen Walker said that the rebranding showcases the company’s new motivation, future directions, and goals. According to Walker, the company is planning to go beyond PC chips and venture into other world-changing innovations.
The company had undergone two major rebrandings in the past: one in 1969 and another in 2006.
Walker explained that the latest changes were inspired by a statement from Intel co-founder Robert Noyce, who encouraged Intel employees to not be encumbered by history and to achieve wonderful things.
She added that the new logo also shows Intel’s commitment to tackling global issues, such as climate change and the lack of diversity in the tech industry. According to Walker, the company feels an urgent desire to use the breadth of its influence to make a positive impact on the world.
Aside from the logo, a new version of Intel’s signature five-note tune will be released. The tune was recreated using a synthesizer instead of the xylophone and marimba chimes that were used in the original.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• Do you think rebranding the logo is the best way to showcase Intel’s growth and future direction? Why or why not?
• If a company is planning to rebrand, what’s the best way for it to decide on a new design (e.g. hold a logo-making contest, base new logo on other popular brands)? Discuss.
• What do you think is the importance of a company logo? Explain.
• If you could rebrand a company logo, which logo would it be, and how would you improve it? Discuss.